Recently I responded to a tweet from @BioChicaGMO who posed the question:
To which I responded:
As a result, @BioChicaGMO reached out to me and asked me to coauthor a blog for the Genetic Literacy Project. We took differing approaches toward the issue of labeling on Non-GMO foods. Last week the blog was posted:
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Friday, August 8, 2014
I'm doing my first give away! The person that guesses the number of POUNDS of tomatoes we harvest this year (or comes the closest) will win a gift pack of Furmano Foods canned tomato products!
These are cannery tomatoes that go for grocery items like diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, whole peeled tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc... Canned tomatoes are so versatile in so many recipes, I can't imagine my pantry without them!
|Here's what the label looks like before they head to the cannery!|
Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene and provide a good source of vitamins C & A. While they are delicious picked fresh, in season from the field, canned tomatoes are very versatile in many recipes, and are an easy, economical, and nutritious choice.
|They are machine harvested and loaded onto these trailers then hauled to the cannery and within 24 hours are processed into yummy tomato products!|
1. The guess must be posted here in the comments section of the blog.
2. Family & employees are excluded from the contest (sorry Mom & Ernie).
3. I will only ship to a US address.
4. If you are the winner and you are outside of the USA, I will ship it to a friend or family of your choice in the USA or will donate it on your behalf to our local food pantry.
5. Harvest usually takes about 3 weeks, depending on Mother Nature and how well the equipment runs. Sorry I can't give you an "award" date but let's say by early September I should have all the harvest data and can determine a winner around that time. I will update the timeframe on facebook and twitter so you know when we are approaching the end of harvest.
6. I will close the comment section when the last tractor trailer load of tomatoes leaves the farm. No entries will be accepted after than.
7. That's more rules than I had expected to come up with....
Now... Post your guess in the comments section here on the blog! The person closest to the number of pounds that we harvest wins! Happy guessing!